Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pumpkin Soup Bliss

Its raining and totally miserable outside today.  Kids are running rampent inside and I decided I felt like I needed a bit of warm comfort food.  And nothing is better than pumpkin soup!  Someone was doing a bit of fundraising last week at church and I picked up a nummy homegrown pumpkin for $2. 


Making pumpkin soup is such a cheap and filling meal, can be frozen and to me is just total, rainy day, comfort food.

I use a really basic recipe that is cheap, easy to throw together and tastes devine.

So what you need is:

Pumpkin
Onions
Garlic
Curry Powder
Nutmeg
Stock (chicken or vegetable)

Chop up around 1 - 1.5kgs of pumpkin, (just depending on how many you want to feed, if you are freezing etc), a couple of onions and 3 cloves of garlic.



In the pot you want to make the soup in, saute the onions and garlic in a couple of tablespoons of butter, until they are soft.

Chuck in the pumpkin, 3 - 4 cups of water, a teaspoon of curry powder, couple of teaspoons of stock and some nutmeg (couple of pinches).  Cook until pumpkin is tender and then puree all together.  I then add milk to mine to get the consistency I want.  Can garnish with sour cream, parsley etc but I am boring and just eat mine as it is.  Its good.

No comments: