Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Strawberry Shrewsbury's


As an adult I am not a fan of the storebrought Shrewsbury biscuits, but do remember the joy as a child trying to get the raspberry out of the centre with my tongue.

I am so bored with the usual biscuits I've been making lately that I am on a mission to try lots of new biscuits I've never baked before, that are child friendly.  This is another recipe I've had floating around for ages,  In fact, have a look at this - these are the recipes I've been collecting for a few years that I want to try. They are a mixture of magazine cut outs and hand written or typed recipes given to me by other people.  I will never get through them!!



Anyway, I digress!  These biscuits fit the bill perfectly for being child friendly and I am fighting my way to the biscuit tin with the children.  I did roll them a bit thickly, and they are more a meal in a biscuit - next time I will be rolling the dough thinner.  But still sooooo good!

125g softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 TBS lemon rind
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
Strawberry Jam

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.  Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the lemon rind and egg and beat well.  Sift in flour and baking powder.

Knead well.

On a lightly floured board roll out to a 4mm thickness and cut out shapes.  In half the biscuits cut a 1cm hole (I used one of my Wilton icing tips).

Place on greased and lined oven trays and bake for 10 - 15 minutes.  Cool.  When cold spread the whole biscuits with strawberry jam and top with biscuits with holes in them.

No comments: