Monday, June 20, 2011

Upcycled Denim Pinafore


 

I love denim pinafores on little girls and have been waiting for the denim in Spotlight to come on sale, as at $18- $24 a metre its a bit pricey for me.  It did, but they only had black left and I wanted blue ... Murphys Law!  So decided to buy a pre-loved denim skirt for $6 and upcycle it into a baby dress. 

I love the finished product.  It only took me an hour or so to whip up and I love the idea of upcycling so much I am going to try some other projects.  My photo quality below is poor - I do alot of my sewing at nighttime when the children are in bed, that combined with the fact my camera is on a slow decline to the rubbish pile makes for not great photos.  Here is how I did it.

You need one skirt, 1 x metre of lining (depending on size - I made a size 1), buttons and matching thread.



Firstly cut down a side seam of the skirt to open it up.



Fold along centre seam (or just centre) of the front panel of the skirt,with right sides facing, and pin and cut out the front of you dress (on the fold).  You can copy off a pinafore dress you already have - or there are lots of free pdf's on the internet for pinafore dresses - just google it and you should find one.



Then do the same with the back panel of the skirt to cut out the back piece of your dress pattern.


Then cut out your lining, back and front.


Next you are going to pin the denim together, right sides facing, and do the same for the lining.


Sew along each side seam and once finished press out your seams with an iron.



Slip your lining into the denim dress with right sides facing together.


And pin the lining and dress together along the straps and underarms, matching the straps etc together.



Sew around the whole top piece.  Once sewn trim close to your seam and notch the arm hole edges.


Turn dress right way out and iron.  Now you are doing to sew around the top of the dress to give a nice flat finish.  See picture.


Then its time to put the buttons on.  Use the button function of your sewing machine.


Then hem along the bottom (I folded twice) and sew.


And there you have it.  You can embellish it anyway you want.

2 comments:

Susa Stonedahl said...

What pattern did you use?

Anonymous said...

puedes compartir el patron que usastes