Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Carrot and Pistachio Slice



This came about yesterday when I decided to surprise hubby with his favourite, Carrot Cake, and realised I was missing ingredients.  So I hashed up a slice, and hubby loved it so much he nearly ate it all in one sitting.  Its not a sweet slice, but with a Cream Cheese Icing its just right - and because its not sweet, you can easily eat lots!  Well, thats what I tell myself anyway.... 

1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 level teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 cup of oil
3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
1/2 cup of sultanas
1 1/2 cups of finely grated carrot
1/2 cup of chopped pistachios (I threw in a few cashews as well as needed to use them)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon mixed spice

Prehead oven to 160 degrees and line a slice tin.

Mix all the ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and pour mixture into tin.  Bake for 35 minutes, or until cooked.

Ice with Cream Cheese Icing.

Easy!  I reckon you could replace the carrot with courgette.  You could replace the nuts with walnuts and even add some pineapple, although its nice and moist as it is.

No comments: