Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ice Cream Cone Strawberry Cupcakes


These were SWEET and messy!  I made them to take to my friends daughters 4th birthday, and the children ate the icing and chocolate off the top but left the cupcakes.  They looked great and the cupcake itself was nice and moist and cooked perfectly inside the cone.

I used the Vanilla Cupcake Recipe I have previously posted, adding some Strawberry Essence and a few drops of red food colouring to make the mixture strawberry flavoured.

I placed the cones into my baking tray, and put around a tablespoon of mixture into each cone, banging them on the bench softly to remove any bubbles.  I filled these around three quarters full as didn't want them to overflow and melt the cones.

I then baked as per the above recipe.

To make the frosting I used a Meringue Frosting.

5 egg whites
1 cup caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Bring a few inches of water to a gentle simmer in a saucepan large enough to hold another one on top above the water.  In the pan on top, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and salt.  Continue to whisk together until the sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is hot.  A good way to test this is to rub the mixture between your fingers - if it is still grainy it needs a bit longer.

Transfer to a mixing bowl and beat at a medium to high speed until the meringue is cool and forming soft peaks (around 5 minutes).  Add the vanilla, and then beat again on medium until mixture is nice and glossy and holding a stiff peak (around another 3 minutes).

To decorate the cold cupcakes pipe the mixture on like a soft serve ice cream, pop in a flake and add some sprinkles.


I had to transport these for a 35 minute car journey.  In hindsight they were not the best option to make for transporting.  In the future I will not put the flake into them until I reach my destination - but I did find a way of getting them there without them falling over!  Time to find a new filing box for the business PAYE and timesheets from last year!

No comments: