Monday, September 12, 2011

Old Fashioned Golden Syrup Steamed Pudding


After a LONG week of being away, sick kiddies and then getting sick myself, I felt like a bit of good old fashioned comfort food after our Sunday roast last night. 

I love steamed puddings, but my very old steamer is just a wee little thing, so I find it quite hard to find recipes that will fit into it.  I constantly keep an eye out in the second hand stores for a larger size and know I will come across one eventually.  In the meantime though, its recipes for small steamers!

I have an amazing recipe for Golden Syrup Steamed Pudding, but it serves 8 and is way too big for my steamer.  I did a bit of searching around and tweaking and the below recipe was perfect for my 1 litre basin.  I am relying totally on the words of my hubby here that it was yummy (he did go back for seconds so that says something - and it was amazing and light) as with this nasty cold of mine I have no tastebuds!  I know, kind of defeats the purpose for comfort food really when you can't taste it!!

110g sugar
2 eggs
110g butter, melted
110g flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch salt
40 ml milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
140g golden syrup

Beat together the sugar and eggs until fluffy and light.  Add the melted butter and beat again, then add the milk.  Fold through the sifted dry ingredients and the vanilla.

Put the golden syrup into the bottom of a well greased pudding basin and then pour the batter on top.  Place the lid on and screw shut.  Alternatively you could use a glass or aluminium bowl, and cover with baking paper and foil and tie down tightly with string.


Place a small cooling rack, or upside down saucer in the bottom of a large saucepan and cover with water.  Bring water to the boil and place pudding basin on top of rack.  Cover and steam for 1 1/2 hours.  Check the water levels throughout the cooking time to ensure it doesn't boil dry. 

Turn out and serve with custard.

1 comment:

Mary-Ann said...

My brother always goes on about mums steamed pud from back in the day but hasnt had one for many decades. I found an old steamed pud bowl with lid and now a suitable receipe. Thank-you the first attempt was light in texture, heavy on the yum factor - delicous and easy to make and will make a lovely birthday surprise for the old fellow.