Sunday, January 29, 2012

Parsnip Cake

 -
The hubby has told me I have to make this cake lots.  He loves it.  It is very much like carrot cake, but has quite an amazing taste from the parsnip caramelising while it cooks.  Devine.

This is a recipe I have had for so many years I have forgotten where it came from.  I typed it out when I was around 20 (ahem, that may of been 13 years ago - shhhhhh), so who knows where I got it!

1 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 large eggs
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
4 cups grated parsnip
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup currants
2 TBS ground cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 160 degrees and grease a deep 20cm cake tin.

Whisk together the sugar, oil and vanilla until combined.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, until mixture is creamy.  Stir in the pineapple.

Place the grated parsnip, flour, salt, baking soda, currants and cinnamon in a large bowl.  Pour in the wet mixture and stir to combine.  Pour mixture into prepared cake tin.

Bake for 75 - 90 minutes or until cooked.  When cold ice with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing.  I used the Edmond's recipe and just added the grated rind and juice of one lemon into it.  It was rather runny though - you will need to compensate for the extra liquid of the lemon with more icing sugar.

No comments: