Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Baking Soda Volcano


Tongariro erupting last night gave us the perfect learning opportunity today.  We used to make baking soda volcanoes at Playcentre heaps, but its been a few years since we've had one at home.   I am actually not sure if I have ever made Danger Mouse one.


We had two ice cream containers of old play dough that I moulded into a volcano shape, and hid an egg cup in the top to hold the baking soda.

Once we had our volcano, we spent a bit of time on the Internet looking at exploding volcanoes and learning a bit about lava.  When I was sure the boys had the concept of it, it was time to explode our own volcano.

I put a few tablespoons of baking soda into the egg cup with a bit of red food colouring.  Then let the boys take turns to pour the white vinegar into the cup. 


They loved it.  Danger Mouse keep putting his hand in the top of the volcano to squish the 'lava'.   He also kept trying to blow the lava off the top, which headed in my direction each time - which of course made him laugh and do it more.   He then decided the volcano needed re-modelling and did some sculpting of his own.


Sprat was a bit more reserved.  He's cool now he goes to school you know.


I am looking forward to making more of these in the sandpit this summer.

No comments: