Friday, March 22, 2013

Royal Icing Easter Egg Cupcakes


I've been trawling the internet trying to find an Easter cupcake decorating idea that doesn't involve tiny Easter Egg topped cupcakes or chicken cupcakes.  I wanted to try something a bit different.

I saw a pin on Pinterest which inspired this idea.  I soon discovered that I didn't have a very steady hand, and didn't like to pay attention to detail, so they were a bit messy, but I still love how they turned out.

I drew my egg template onto baking paper, drawing 20 eggs for 12 cupcakes (allowing for breakages, child disasters etc).



I made up my Royal Icing (I cheat and buy mine in a packet from the supermarket).  I mixed it until peaks appeared, so it was a nice firm consistency for piping.

Flipping my baking paper over, so the drawing was on the opposite side to where I was piping, I then simply piped following the egg design, and decorated them using various colours.  I left them to dry for two days before attempting to use them on the cupcakes.  Its a good idea for the 'stick' part of the design to be quite thick to help avoid snapping while placing them in the cupcakes.



I baked a simple Vanilla cupcake, adding a Mini Creme Egg in each centre before baking, and iced with a Cream Cheese Icing.  Using a kebab stick, I made holes in the cakes first before inserting my Royal Icing Eggs.

This is what happens when you leave a 2 year old unattended with a cupcake (thats my white photography background its squished on) ... I've no idea what she was thinking.  I would of eaten it.







1 comment:

Ange - Tall, Short and Tiny said...

These look amazing! I love that they're not 100% perfect (although nearly!), they look handmade and beautiful. Such a cool idea!
Thanks for linking in :)