Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Clay Christmas Decorations


I want to incorporate more white decorations on our tree this year, without paying a fortune for a half dozen ornaments mass produced in China.  I've seen some great ideas on Pinterest using Salt Dough, but to be honest, I just have bad memories of soggy Salt Dough from when I was a child and just didn't really want to go there again.

A quick trip to Spotlight and I was home with air drying Jovi Clay.  It promised to be really easy to use, not too sticky, not strong smelling and should only take 24 hours to dry.  Perfect.



I am by no means a sculptor, so simple was the way to go.  Cue the cookie cutters, rubber stamps, ink, a drinking straw and a rolling pin.

I am stoked with how they turned out, especially the deer.  I only brought a small packet of Jovi, so am definitely going to get more and do some mass producing of my favourite designs.  Especially now I am the proud owner of a deluxe, worthy of a heart attack when I saw the price tag, huge 7ft Christmas tree that my darling hubby brought me the other night.  This baby can be filled with a heap of decorations.



I did let the kids, hubby and a friend have a turn.


I have to admit I may of turned into one of those scary growly possessive of my craft, type people at this point.  But I got through it without too much snarky behavior.  I think.  I didn't share my rolling pin though.

Can't wait to see these strung up on the tree.  Ohhh, love the festive season.

3 comments:

Leonie said...

wow these look amazing Julie! so professional! I may just have to give it a go :)

Online Catalogs said...

Here I would like to add some more information on christmas decoration, christmas decoration ideas, christmas gifts, holidays decoration and their producers. - Christmas Decorations Companies

Mamoose said...

These have turned out great! I just found this by googling the decorations. Can I just ask how you got the ink in to them? Do you just use the ink on the stamp as you press in to the clay? AND, do you have to leave the clay to dry a little before stamping or do you stamp straight away? Do you need to glaze them? Thanks!!